Bicentennial Picnic & Celebration

Below is the Bicentennial Picnic Celebration program in which we celebrated 200 years of Methodism in New Brunswick.  The program was held after the 11:00 am church service on Sunday, May 22.  Those attending walked over to the Shiloh Cemetery after the service for food and celebration. Click on the image below to see photos of the event.

 

 

(Click here for a .pdf copy of the bulletin which includes both the Worship Service and Bicentennial Celebration program.)

BICENTENNIAL PICNIC CELEBRATION

At Shiloh Community Gardens

 

WORDS OF WELCOME                                                                          George Dawson

 

INTRODUCTION OF GUESTS                                                   Rev. Dr. Gregory B. Young

 

METHODIST BEGINNINGS IN NEW BRUNSWICK                                      George Dawson

 

THE HISTORY OF OUR JARDINE PIPE ORGAN                                                    Jean Volk

 

SHARING OF OUR MORE RECENT HISTORY                                 Marilyn Kuna and Bill Price

 

BECOMING A MULTI-ETHNIC CONGREGATION                     Donald Russell and Lami Garber

 

SHARING STORIES FROM OUR PAST

 

DEDICATION OF SHILOH COMMUNITY GARDENS

The Ground on Which We Stand                                                 Rev. Dr. Young

A Community Vision                                 Rev. Lisanne Finston, Elijah’s Promise

Developing a Plan                                             Bill Bray, City of New Brunswick

A Plan in Action                                                       Paul Helms, Elijah’s Promise

Prayer of Dedication                                                                    Rev. Dr. Young

 

 

The history that follows was prepared by the members of the Anniversary Committee at the celebration of the union of First, Pitman, and St. James Methodist Churches in 1961.  This was also a celebration of the sesquicentennial of Methodism in the City of New Brunswick.  In the forward to the program booklet commemorating both events the Anniversary Committee wrote, “It is particularly appropriate that the year 1961, marking the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the establishment of organized Methodism in New Brunswick, should witness the formation of a new Methodist Congregation from the union of the three Methodist Churches in the City.  This booklet commemorates our sesquicentennial, marks the charter of our new congregation and looks to our future.”

 

THE BEGINNING OF METHODISM IN NEW BRUNSWICK

The dates of the first Methodist activity in the New Brunswick area are obscure.  When Bishop Francis Asbury visited in 1797 he found that a preacher from Elizabethtown (Elizabeth) had already begun work in New Brunswick.  Asbury’s journal indicates that in 1798 he started a subscription for a House of Worship here and that he preached at the Court House on June 15, 1800 and again on May 20, 1802.

 

 

HISTORY OF FIRST METHODIST CHURCH

Asbury’s efforts and those of others must have been fruitful for we learn from old records that, “The Rev. Joseph Totten and the male members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of New Brunswick, N. J., did assemble at their usual place of meeting for public worship on the 27th day of May 1811, and did then and there by plurality of voices of the congregation present elect Jacob Snyder, James Williams, David Oliver, Michael Pool, Joel Conger, Henry Goose and John Vliet to be trustees of the same.”  On July 18, 1811, this congregation chose “The Methodist Episcopal Church, Shiloh, New Brunswick,” as its corporate name which was changed December 3, 1912, to “The First Methodist Episcopal Church of New Brunswick.”

The first site of the Church was on Liberty Street on a lot purchased from the Trustees of Queens College (Now Rutgers, The State University) for $528.  It was a brick structure, two stories high with a corner stone bearing the date A.D. 1811.  It was located just below the present site of First Methodist where the Opera House subsequently stood.  The brick Church was greatly damaged in the tornado of 1835 and the pastor, Rev. W. H. Bull so severely injured that he died.  The Church was replaced with a wooden structure in 1836 on the same lot.

During the pastorate of Rev. A. V. Lawrence (1865-68) a lot was purchased at the corner of George and Liberty Streets for $7,700 from A. J. Buttler who owned a pottery there.  In 1869-71 a Church foundation was laid on the new site and in 1876, when the State Legislature passed an act enabling the disposal of the old Church, it was sold to a Hebrew Congregation for $2,000 and the erection of the new Church begun.  It was dedicated by Bishop Matthew Simpson in that year although not completed in its present form until 1896.  The Chapel portion, now called the Education Building, was completed in 1885.  During the twentieth century both Chapel and Sanctuary portions of the Church have undergone alterations and renovations.

In 1961 the membership of the Church was 625 and the budget $27,000. The Church has endowment funds amounting to $87,000.

 

MINISTERS OF THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SHILOH, NEW BRUNSWICK:  Joseph Totten, 1811; Joseph Totten and Williams Mills, 1812; Joseph Osborne and John VanSchoick, 1813; John VanSchoick and John Fomon, 1814; John Walker and Thomas Neal, 1815; Jo’ Robinson and Joseph Rusling, 1816; Manning Force and Daniel Moore, 1817; Thomas Smith, 1818; George Baughart and Joseph Aitkins, 1819; Jacob Moore, 1820; Charles Pitman, 1821; Joseph Rusling, 1823; Samuel Doughty, 1825; Isaac Winner, 1827; George Cochran, 1828; Pharoah Ogden, 1829; Robert Garry, 1831; Joseph Hoedich and William Wilmer, 1833; Joseph Hoedich, 1834; W. H. Bull, 1835; James Ayars, 1836; George Raybold, 1838; John Porter, 1840; Vincent Shepherd, 1841; Wesley Hudson, 1842; James Ayars, 1844; William Roberts, 1846; To be Supplied, 1847; M. E. Ellison, 1848; John Blain, 1850; John Blain and W. S. Titus, 1851; N. Van Sant, Chas. Colt, J. M. Freeman, 1852; N. Van Sant, 1853; Samuel Monroe, 1854; L. R. Dunn and L. Rusling, 1856; R. A. Chalker and L. Rusling, 1858; Charles Whitecar and L. Rusling, 1859; W. H. Jefferys, 1861; J. Stevenson, 1863; H. V. Lawrence, 1865; R. N. Stratton, 1868; B. S. Sharp, 1869; W. E. Boyle, 1872; H. A. Chalker, 1873; J. S. Phelps, 1875; J. S. Heisler, 1878; Edmund Hewitt, 1880; William P. Davis, 1881; Milton Relyea, 1884; William White, 1887; W. P. C. Strickland, 1890; B. C. Lippincott, 1892; G. S. Stanger, 1895; W. R. Wedderspoon, 1899; James Moore, 1901; Joseph Shaw, 1903; James W. Marshall, 1909; J Morgan Read, 1912.

MINISTERS OF FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH AT NEW BRUNSWICK:  J. Morgan Read, 1912; H. M. Lawrence, 1915; 3. B. Kulp, 1918; C. R. VanHook, 1921; E. A. Robinson, 1925; R. A. Conover, 1926; Arthur Shenefelt, 1929; H. E. Curts, 1933; F. C. Uhl, 1936; Paul A. Friedrich, 1939; Harold P. Wayman, 1948; Ira S. Pimm, 1958.

 

 

 

HISTORY OF PITMAN METHODIST CHURCH

Within 15 years after the tornado of 1835 and the rebuilding of the Methodist Church the congregation grew to such an extent that a new Church was needed.  Pastor J. B. Blain thought the Congregation should be divided.  Nearly 150 volunteers were found in the Liberty Street congregation willing to form a new Church.  A corner lot on the Corner of George and Oliver Streets was secured and the cornerstone of a new Church was laid in the fall of 1851.

At a meeting held October 13, 1851, a Board of Trustees was elected and the corporate name of the Church as the “Pitman Methodist Episcopal Church of New Brunswick, N. J.” was selected.  Members of the first Board of Trustees were:  Robert Miller, President; John Helm, Secretary; William Owens, Treasurer; Matthew L. Edgerton; John Buckalew; George Price and Statan Jeifries.

On August 11, 1852, the new Church was dedicated by Bishop E. S. Jones and named the Pitman Methodist in honor of Rev. Charles Pitman, a former pastor of the Liberty Street Church.  The completed Church was a handsome, two-story wooden structure.  For many years after the Church was built it was known as the “Church across the Hollow” because it was relatively isolated from the upper George Street part of the city by a stream running roughly in the region of what is now Carroll Place and New Street.  At the time the Pitman Church was built lower George Street (towards Route 1) was a woods.  On the site of the present home of the Donahues and the Deinzer market (across Oliver Street from the Church on George) there was a clearing for camp meetings and picnics were held there by the two Methodist Churches.

It took much effort and sacrifice to pay off the mortgage of the New Church but this was done by 1892.  In 1909, Rev. H. J. Belting recommended the remodeling of the Church building to include an educational plant.  This was approved and the cornerstone of a new building on the site of the old was laid May 23, 1909.  The new building was a gray brick structure.  This second building mortgage was burned in 1940.

In 1961 the membership of the Pitman Methodist Church was 196 and the Church budget was $8,500.

 

MINISTERS OF PITMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF NEW BRUNSWICK:  Charles Colt, 1852; Charles Hill, 1854; E. H. Stokes, 1856; J. B. Dobbins, 1858; Philip Cline, 1860; E. H. Stokes, 1862; H. W. Brown, 1863; George Hughes, 1865; Richard Thorn, 1866; C. R. Hartranft, 1869; C. W. Heisley, 1872; D. H. Shock, 1875; C. K. Fleming, 1878; E. C. Hancock, 1879; Henry Belting, 1882; Jesse Stiles, 1884; George C. Maddock, 1885; Samuel S. Weatherby, 1888; J. Morgan Read, 1890; J. S. Boswell, 1893; Willie Reeves, 1895; George H. Neal, Jr., 1897; D. N. Stafford, 1900; Joseph E. Sawn, 1903; W. T. Valient, 1905; Herbert J. Belting, 1908; George S. Messerole, 1911; Harold Paul Sloan, 1911; Isaac Yerks, 1915; John H. Magee, 1916; Leon Chamberlain, 1917; E. Harrison Cloud, 1921; S. K. Moore, 1924; John W. Wainwright, 1925; Ralph S. Carlisle, 1927; Henry E. Garrison, 1931; George W. Yard, 1934; Lawreson Correll, 1936; Henry D. Ebner, 1938; Canton Bodine, 1941; Paul L. Munion, 1942; Harland T. Gant, 1945; Walter A. Pine, 1948; Howard L. Smith, 1951; G. W. Southwick, 1953; Edward English, 1956; John Carty, 1960.

 

 

 

HISTORY OF ST. JAMES METHODIST CHURCH

During the decade, 1850-60, the Liberty Street Methodist Congregation continued to grow owing to religious revivals.  In 1857, during the pastorate of Rev. R. Chalker, one revival resulted in the addition of 170 new members.  Such increases in membership brought about the formation of a new congregation as in the case of the Pitman Church.

On December 20, 1858 an organizational meeting was held and as an outgrowth of this meeting the first trustees elected were:  James Bishop, Christopher Meyer, Albert Speer, John R. Van Kirk and J. E. Jackson.

The new congregation purchased a lot on the corner of Bayard and Schuyler Streets (Schuyler was formerly called St. James Place) and a Chapel was erected and dedicated by Bishop Simpson on July 15, 1860.  The new Church was originally referred to as the Bayard Street Chapel.  During the Civil War construction of a Church was begun on the site and after many delays was dedicated by Bishop Simpson on November 11, 1866.  Earlier that year the corporate name of the congregation had become the St. James Methodist Episcopal Church.

It is of some interest that on April 24, 1865, when the cornerstone of this Church was laid that documents placed in a box included a statement that the body of the assassinated President Lincoln had been taken through New Brunswick that morning.

The completed Church was one of the handsomest in New Brunswick and cost the congregation about $75,000.  During the financial panic of 1874, the remaining indebtedness of $26,000 forced a public sale of the property.  Fortunately it was purchased by officers and members of the Church.

On December 13, 1908, this Church was nearly destroyed by fire.  For a time the congregation worshipped in the Chapel of the First Presbyterian Church and in the Grand Army Hall on Morris Street.  On August 3, 1909, the Schuyler Street property was exchanged for that of the Magyar Evangelical Reformed Presbyterian Church at the corner of Easton Avenue and Hamilton Street.  This is the present St. James property.  Since 1909 it has been altered and renovated and a parsonage erected next to the Church.

In 1961, the membership of the St. James Methodist Church was 368 and the Church budget was $10,000.

 

MINISTERS OF SAINT JAMES METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH:  John E. Cookman, 1860; George W. Batchelder, 1861; Frank B. Rose, 1862; Robert M. Stratton, 1862; James R. Bryan, 1863; Robert S. Collier, 1865; John McClintock, 1866; Otis H. Tiffany, 1868; William V. Kelly, 1870; George K. Morris, 1873; Edward Wilson, 1874; John E. Adams, 1877; J. Embry Price, 1880; James A. Jones, 1883; J. DeWitt Miller, 1883; John Crawford, 1884; John Handley, 1885; Joseph G. Reed, 1888; James R. Mace, 1891; Albert H. Eberhardt, 1895; Melville E. Snyder, 1898; Thomas S. Brock, 1904; Frederick C. Uhl, 1908; Orville S. Duffield, 1910; George W. Yard, 1912; Joseph P. Carman, 1914; John M. Hunt, 1916; Percy R. Corner, 1919; Arthur L. Davies, 1923; Raymond L. Cooper, 1925; John Pemberton, Jr., 1927; Walter L. Shaw, 1929; Carl W. Reamer, 1930; Harry S. Henck, 1934; Edward A. Chambers, 1944; John M. Long, 1948; John B. Kirby, Jr., 1950; Richard L. Sidener, 1958.

 

 

UNION OF NEW BRUNSWICK METHODIST CHURCHES

The conditions in New Brunswick which in the middle of the Nineteenth Century made possible a rapid increase in Methodists and the formation of two new Methodist Congregations did not continue in the Twentieth Century.  By 1950 the Congregations of the three New Brunswick Churches together were about the same size as that of the parent Church a century earlier. In 1958 a survey of the New Brunswick Methodist Churches was conducted by the Division of National Missions of the Methodist Church.  The results of this survey made available to the Congregations of the three churches, joined with the prospects of community changes in the decades ahead were factors which brought together in the Spring of 1960 representatives of the three Congregations to discuss the formation of a single Methodist Church in the Community.  A committee was formed of six representatives from each congregation appointed by the Official Boards of the three Churches.  This Committee began meeting regularly in the fall of 1960 and after a number of meetings and considerable discussion agreed that a union of the three Methodist Congregations should provide:  (1) A strong new church centrally located in New Brunswick; (2) A full church at worship and full classes at all age levels in the Church School; (3) A strong youth program for both Junior and Senior high school students; (4) An adequate ministerial, educational and clerical staff; and (5) Greater opportunity for effective Community Service including a more effective liaison with Methodist Students in the University.

The objectives were considered realistic and within the reach of a single united congregation.  The work of the committee was approved by the Official Boards of the churches and a Resolution of Merger drawn by Kearney Y. Kuhlthau was presented and approved May 24, 25 and 26, 1961 at the Quarterly Conferences of the Congregations and made binding on the Churches by Congregational vote of each church on June 8, 1961 and at a Special Quarterly Conference on June 11.

The organizational meeting of the new Church was held in the Pitman Methodist sanctuary on June 11 at which time the church officers were selected.  During the summer of 1961 the official name of the new Church was chosen to be “The Methodist Church at New Brunswick” and a Board of Trustees with equal representation from each of the former Congregations selected.  The first Board consisted of: David Williams, Harold Robinson, Charles Miller, William Leach, Sr., Harry Layton, John Ferriday, Robert Van Deursen, Raymond Grymes, and Judson Beacham.  The members of the Committee on Church Union were: Mrs. Harry S. Layton, Mrs. R. L. Van Deursen, Charles Erickson, C. Walter Hooper, R. L. Van Deursen, Rev. Richard Sidener, Walter S. Ogburn, Guy Soper, Judson Beacham, Wes Klusmann, Charles R. Fuller, Jr., Hazel Freese, James Green, Rev. John R. Carty, Jon Baumunk, Rev. Ira S. Pimm, Richard M. Cahill, John Ferriday, Herman Y. Carr, David Williams, Harold Robinson, Lester Barlow.

 

 

THE FUTURE

The magic of Church union lies in the quality of the hope it generates.  New faces, new friends, new responsibilities, new organizations, new ideas, new ways of doing things are all stimulating and carry the hope that a united congregation can be a more effective agent for the furtherance of God’s Kingdom than three separate ones.  We look ahead to a new Church building with modern facilities; we look ahead to a rejuvenated Program of Methodism in New Brunswick, we look ahead to this Church becoming an influential protestant voice in a community dedicated to higher education.  Only through harnessing these hopes through rededication to Methodism can we reasonably expect that on our two hundredth anniversary our spiritual descendants can say, this union of 1961 was a wise thing.

 

 


 

THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH AT NEW BRUNSWICK

In 1961 three churches became one and a new chapter was begun for Methodism in the City of New Brunswick.  The vision of merger had its difficulties but in the end a smooth transition was experienced by all.    By the end of the decade the Methodist Church at New Brunswick would undergo yet another change in name.  1968 was the year that the Evangelical United Brethren merged with the Methodist Church to form a new protestant denomination – The United Methodist Church.  The Methodist Church at New Brunswick now had a new name, The United Methodist Church at New Brunswick.

 

 

In 1976 while the United States of America celebrated its bicentennial as a nation the United Methodist Church at New Brunswick also celebrated a milestone in its history – the centennial of the dedication of the sanctuary that now sits on the corner of George and Liberty Streets.  The following excerpts are found in the updated history booklet that was published for the occasion.

 

EXCERPTS FROM THE 1976 SANCTUARY CENTENNIAL BOOKLET

WE, as Methodists in New Brunswick, New Jersey are celebrating two important events in 1976 – the founding of our nation two hundred years ago, and the dedication of our present house of worship one hundred years ago.

Since our nation was conceived and born on religious convictions and principles, and since John and Charles Wesley, along with George Whitefield and Captain Webb, brought their “dissenting” theology – Methodism – to the new World in the early 1700’s, the Christian denomination of Methodism has been an integral part of our nation’s history. Rev. George Whitefield preached Methodism in New Brunswick in 1739, and Methodism grew here in this tiny wayside “coach stop” between New York and Trenton to the extent that when Bishop Francis Asbury came in 1798 to start a congregation, he found there were already active Methodists meeting here.

In the year of our nation’s Bicentennial and our sanctuary’s Centennial – a sanctuary which grew out of those early beginnings and subsequently became the Mother Church from which the Saint James, and the Pitman churches in New Brunswick, the Milltown Methodist Church, and Trinity Methodist Church in Highland Park evolved – it appears appropriate to compile this short history of Methodism in New Brunswick.

 

{At this point in the booklet a history of the church as appears above was included.  It is omitted here since it was essentially the same as the above cited history.}

 

The twentieth century brought about the reuniting of the three New Brunswick Methodist churches into one.  As the strong enthusiasm and revivalism of the nineteenth century has brought about the creation of the two new churches, Pitman and St. James, so the changing nature of the city and the secularism of the twentieth century caused a reuniting of the congregations into a stronger, even more community-oriented group, interested in service rather than the maintenance of large buildings.  In 1961, after more than a hundred years of worship and service as separate entities, Pitman, St. James, and First Methodist were reunited as “The United Methodist Church at New Brunswick.”

At the time of the merger it was considered desirable to house the united congregation in a new building, preferably on a new site.  But it was judged that the site of First Methodist was the “more prominent and more centrally located” one at the time, so the Chapel was torn down and a new Education Building erected on its site (at a cost of $450,000) and dedicated in 1965.  This was to be the beginning of a completely new facility, including a sanctuary, as funds became available.

However, the church followed the pattern of many “downtown” churches across the country.  Membership and finances declined and inflation took its toll.  By this time another serious problem faced the congregation – the sanctuary was in disrepair and needed complete renovation at an estimated cost of $50,000-$60,000.  The Administrative Board appointed an Ad Hoc Committee to study or survey the future of the church from the standpoint of property, membership, finance, and ministry.  The Ad Hoc Committee report was submitted to the church membership at two congregational meetings by the Administrative Board and the congregation voted to remain in the downtown location to better serve the local community and keep Methodism in New Brunswick, and voted to completely restore the old sanctuary.  During 1973 and 1974 the exterior of the building was restored and the interior was completely painted and renovated, including the stencil glass and stained glass windows, at a cost of approximately $65,000.  In 1975 a new sound system was installed.

The congregation has endeavored to make the best possible use of these new and renovated facilities by offering a wide range of worship and service opportunities, by conducting membership and outreach campaigns, and by participating with the Downtown Cluster of churches in programs such as seminars and Neighborhood Block Parties to better serve the total New Brunswick community today.

There is a stone monument in South Carolina into which the following is carved:

                                                                                                Of the past mindful

                                                                                                To the present, faithful,

                                                                                                For the future hopeful

The future of this church would be bleak indeed without the strong foundations of the past.  Therefore, we take pride in our past not in nostalgic curiosity, but because it is the umbilical cord of our birth from which our identity and purpose came.

In the midst of a rapidly changing present confronting us with giant challenges, we are aware that it is to the present moment that Jesus the Christ calls and sustains us as part of His Church Universal. We are enabled to open our arms to the present, in spite of our ambivalence, with faith not in ourselves, but in the One who is none other than the Lord of History.

Thus, it is with a strong sense of hope that we look from the present to the future, knowing that to be the people of God in the midst of the world will require of us hard decisions, greater commitment, and growing faith.  We are enabled to look forward because it is not only those of us here present who do so, but it is with the Head of the Church, Jesus Christ, who guides us into the future; it is with the cloud of witnesses past whose faith and dedication moves us forward; and it is for all those to come who stand in need of the church, that we respond with love.

Therefore, we give to God our Father, grateful thanksgiving for the past and its richness, humbly praying what we will be faithful to the present, and with hope we look toward a rewarding future of continued worship, service , and ministry in the name of Christ.

 

 

 

A BRIEF HISTORY FROM 1976 TO 2011

Since celebrating the centennial of our sanctuary the members and friends of the United Methodist Church at New Brunswick have witnessed many changes.  With the revitalization of downtown New Brunswick and the growing presence of Rutgers University the community has become highly diversified.  Our congregation over the decades has benefited from the many people from various ethnic and national backgrounds now residing in the New Brunswick area.  Our congregation celebrates the international diversity represented by the members and friends of our congregation.  In many ways our church has evolved with the evolution of the city and we remain a strong presence for the kingdom of God.

We have seen many of our programs evolve over the years – some for the better and others that have become memories of the past.  Many of us remember the days of serving hot dogs and hamburgers as the Middlesex County Fair.  We celebrate the memory of our Urban Outreach Ministry where we provided Bible Club and Vacation Bible School for the children and youth of downtown New Brunswick.  Some of our current members remember meeting their future spouses at our church-sponsored college forums and lunches.  Many of our current young adults were nurtured by the Sojourner’s Ministry that was part of our Sunday school.  When Palm Sunday approaches each year many of our older men remember the Father and Son Palm Sunday Communion Service and Breakfast which we celebrated jointly with the men of First Reformed Church.  The Question Marks group that provided family activities for young couples and their children and played an active role in helping us to be a warm and caring community during the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s is now part of our past.  The Round Table Sunday school class that played a similar role as the Question Marks during the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and into the new millennium is now also part of our past.  The days of church Sunday school picnics in Johnson’s Park, and youth group service projects to the homebound are also part of our celebration of who we were along the way.

Our congregation continues to seek ways to minister to the needs of the people of the City of New Brunswick.  During the school year a small group of church volunteers continue to offer after school tutoring on Monday afternoons at the Lord Stirling School.  We continue to celebrate our strong relationship with Elijah’s Promise.  In the month of October of 2009 our once per month non-perishable food collection in support of Elijah’s Promise’s food ministry was expanded to a weekly collection.  Each week, following worship, volunteers bring the food collected to the Elijah’s Promise Soup Kitchen on Neilson Street.  Since beginning the expanded program we have increased our support of this vital ministry in the city four-fold and in March of 2011 we celebrated collecting our 600th bag of non-perishable food to help feed the hungry of the city.  Since founding the overflow, men’s shelter program 25 years ago, our members continue to provide 2 full weeks of warm, over-night accommodations in our church basement for the homeless men of New Brunswick.  Our church also provides meeting space for Narcotics Anonymous two evenings every week.  We are also one of several sites in the city housing a pre-school operated by the Puerto Rican Action Board.  While we receive rent money for this ministry we also have the opportunity to provide a safe environment for 90 children to learn what they will need to be successful in the years ahead.  We have also strengthened our ministry to the people of New Brunswick by providing above-ground garden boxes located on the upper end of our church’s cemetery.  This was a joint project between the City of New Brunswick, Elijah’s Promise and our church along with various other businesses and volunteers.  As part of our bicentennial celebration on May 22, 2011 we dedicate30 garden boxes to the glory of God and for our neighbors and friends in New Brunswick.  Through our many outreach ministries, more numerous than listed here, we continue to care for the needs of our neighbors through the love of Christ.

Perhaps the greatest ministry that our church celebrates in the decades since 1976 is the welcoming of immigrants from West Africa and the Caribbean.  Our current membership now consists of people from 37 nations.  Each Sunday we gather to worship and praise God we find our unity in Christ.  We join the generations that have gone before us in celebrating our Christian faith and rededicating ourselves to be the Body of Christ in the City of New Brunswick, NJ.

As of December 31, 2010 our membership stands at 547 with an average Sunday morning worship attendance of 161.  The operating expense budget for 2011 is $339,675.00.

 

 

MINISTERS OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH AT NEW BRUNSWICK:  Ira S. Pimm and John R. Carty, 1961; F. Elwood Perkins, 1962; George B. Howe, 1965; James H. Harris, Jr., 1971; Harlan M. Baxter, 1978; Langdon “Buddy” Hubbard 1987 (Associate Pastor for Urban Ministry); Larry R. Kalajainen, 1987; Lisanne Finston, 1991 (Associate Pastor for Urban Ministry); Lisanne Finston, 1994 (Interim Pastor for 4 months); Sydney S. Sadio, 1994; Susan Zahorbenski, 2005 (Diaconal Minister) Gregory B. Young, 2008.

 

 

 

 

Celebrating 200 Years and Counting…

Remember the church in your will.